di Nero Alfredo Pasta
This is the real deal. We use squid ink when creating this batch of pasta. Once dried, the di Nero pasta has no flavor but is a powerful presentation when adding a variety of color to the black pasta. Our family favorite is to serve di Nero with an Alfredo sauce (my apologies to Roberto who grew up in Italy and insists that Alfredo is a name of a childhood friend, not a sauce).
Our Alfredo sauce (compliments of our son):
- 1/2 Cup Butter (we use organic)
- one 8 ounce pkg. Neufchatel Cheese (again, organic)
- 3-4 whole garlic cloves minced
- 2 Cups milk (organic...ok,ok,ok)
- 8 ounces parmesan, asiago, or peccorino (choose one or all up to 8 ounces)
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Sea Salt to taste
Gently heat all the butter in a sauce pan. Add the garlic, but do not allow to brown. Add the Neufchatel Cheese in pieces and stir until dissolved with the butter. Slowly add the milk and whisk together until heated and sauce thickens. This does not take long, maybe a few minutes. Add the cheese, cracked pepper, and sea salt. Allow cheese to melt and then remove from heat.